Monday, April 2, 2012

Money Talks

Excuse me for maybe going off for a little bit on a snotty little teenage girl rant with all kinds of first world problems, but really, I need to get this out.
I don't ask for a lot. I really do not. I accept my position as a little sister most of the time. I understand that it's not all about me all the time. So I don't find myself to ever be demanding or greedy or anything like that.
But honestly. One day a year, I get a birthday, just like everyone else, and on that one day it gets to be all about me. It is my day. Mine. And this year, I'm turning 16, which is kind of an important age for a teenage girl. 16 is the age that everyone 15 and under aspires to. It's wired into our brains.
So forgive me if I'd like this one day to be special. I don't need a big old Sweet Sixteen celebration. I just want what I asked for, and that's still not a lot. I don't want everyone to be all obsessed with my brother's college next year and how it's going to cost a fortune and we'll probably be out on the streets and yada yada yada. I don't give a crap if that's all anyone thinks about the other 364 days of the year. But in less than a week, it is going to be my day. And I want it to feel like my day. In a school year where my brother is already getting the majority of the attention for getting the lead in the musical and being in show choir and auditioning for college and getting scholarships and graduating and all that crap, I want just this one day for all of the attention to be devoted to me. I already have to share it with the rising of the good Lord.
I don't know why I all of a sudden feel like an attention deprived four-year-old. Maybe it's the loss of The Boyfriend.
I just want my freaking birthday to be my freaking birthday. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment