Saturday, June 25, 2011

High School?

So, I'm doing this project to get fifty bucks. Basically, I'm doing a data-entry thing for a class reunion. Okay, sorry, I have to pause here and tell you something funny. My mom just came home from Target with Biodegradeable Poop Bags. Yes. Okay, anyway, I have this big packet of people that went to a high school in a town near here, and it's kind of really interesting to read all the names of these people. Only five people live outside the state. Five. That's kind of weird. Maybe not. Maybe everyone only thinks about leaving the state and going to college in some big fancy place and we all end up back here anyway. I don't necessarily plan on leaving, unless I have to go out of state for college and decide to move to that state because I like it there. Several people (I'm too lazy to go through the whole packet and count) are married to other people who went to high school with them. It's fun to imagine those kinds of stories. Have they been together since high school? Did they meet again at a previous reunion? Did they get together online? Did they just run into each other at the store or something? It could be anything, really. Going to the same high school is like an ice breaker for a conversation. Suddenly, with finding this thing you have in common, you can talk about teachers and classes and where you went to college and who your friends were and if you remember each other. Is it sad to be married to someone you've been with since high school? Somehow, I don't think so. Maybe it's just dedication or something. Then there are the ones who fall under the "Unable to Locate" category. I want to know what happened to those people. It's not likely they just fell off the face of the Earth. Maybe they joined the five that are now living in other states. Maybe they live in different countries. Maybe they developed a life of crime and are hiding under an alias. Okay, so that last one was perhaps a little far fetched, but we come back to the endless possibilities. Some people have a whole slew of information under their names, while others just have thier addresses. I also have to wonder how the committees for this reunion found all of these people. How do you track down so many people? You're only bound to keep in touch with a few, and there's no way everybody knows where everybody is. Some people cut themselves off completely from high school and rediscover themselves in college. Maybe those people are the ones who could not be located, the ones who decided they were headed for bigger and better things than keeping in touch with the class of 1976. I'm not saying that those who did stay in touch aren't doing bigger and better things. Maybe they're just sentimental. I could ponder for hours on the meaning of high school and old friends and reunions, but I guess it really comes down to people wanting to relive old times and see friends they haven't seen in years. Right now, I can't imagine leaving any of my friends behind when I go off to college, but it's inevitable. You have to lose a few people along the way. I believe that if someone is supposed to stay in your life, it will happen. Nobody can know the future, but the decisions we make now can determine the outcome. Will I cut myself off from high school once I graduate? Not likely. Will I still be close with all the friends I'm close with today twenty-five years from now? Also not likely. But something will stick. I doubt I'll forget these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment