Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why am I such a klutz?

Is that even how you spell klutz? So many questions.
I fell down the stairs at school today. They're linoleum stairs. I have a significant bruise on my elbow. I was walking out of my last class, Microsoft Office, and wearing slippery shoes. All of a sudden, I slipped right off of the stair I was standing on, slid down a couple more, and finally landed on my elbows and pushed myself back up. Naturally, the first thing I said was, "I'm okay. I knew that would happen to me someday." Why would I say such a thing? Because I trip, slip, stumble, fall over, fall out of chairs, and run into things on a regular basis. Yes, I am clumsy.
I know I'm not the only one. At my age, everybody is kind of gawky and awkward. But I've never really been gawky. Awkward, maybe, but not gawky. So I wanted to know why I, of all people, am clumsy.
On Wikipedia (hey, hey, it's legit...sometimes...), clumsy goes off in a few different directions. I chose the "accident-proneness" route, because that sounds about right. Apparently, being accident-prone is actually, like, a thing. So, basically, there's this conception that some people actually have a predisposition to be more likely to suffer from accidents. Upon clicking the "nature and causes" link, I discovered this nugget of information:

"The exact nature and causes of accident-proneness, assuming that it exists as a distinct entity, are unknown. Factors which have been considered as associated with accident-proneness have included absent-mindedness, carelessness, impulsivity, predisposition to risk-taking, and unconscious desires to create accidents as a way of achieving secondary gains."

Okay. That sounds about right. I'm not sure if I actually have an unconscious desire to create accidents, but I guess that's up to my unconsciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment