Saturday, July 16, 2011

Alan Rickman is "Da Bomb"

I know you're all probably sick of Harry Potter by now. Honestly, since it basically took over my life last week, I'm ready for a break myself. But I figured maybe some of my exasperated feelings over seeing Facebook posts and Youtube videos would be resolved if I wrote it out, and then I figured I'd share it with you lovely people. I was going to organize this, but I guess we'll just see what happens.

Here are some small things that have been on my nerves. I don't know if any of you people have ever heard of LeakyCon, but I think it's basically this big old Harry Potter conference that's supposed to be really awesome. I want to be there. It's on my bucket list to go. Anyway, I keep hearing about it on Youtube and it grates my cheese to know that I probably won't be able to go until I'm like...in college. Another thing is Luna Lovegood. She's definitely one of my favorite characters, but she's also EVERYBODY'S favorite character. There are tons of people who think they're just like her because they're quirky and different. This only annoys me because Luna is so much more than that. She's one of the bravest and wisest characters, and I feel like sometimes some people don't see that and only focus on how she's funny and weird. I know there are others who know how awesome she is besides the obvious, but people bother me.
I saw the latest Harry Potter movie at midnight, just twelve hours after I finished the last book for the second time, and it was amazing. Being there with my friends and all those other die-hard fans was so much fun. And here, I think, we have come to the core of my problem. Sure, I got emotional. I knew it was going to be sad. But I didn't really cry at all, and I'd been preparing myself for weeks for the onslaught of sobbing it was sure to cause me. Then I'm sitting in the theatre while Harry walks calmly to his death (oops...spoilers.) and I'm just barely tearing up. That morning, when I read the book, I had to take a break because I literally couldn't read it any more. And you all know (Well, maybe not, actually...) that I am in love with the Weasley twins, and I didn't even tear up when Fred died. Maybe I had just built up everything in my head, and even though it was amazing, it just wasn't as monumental as I thought. I know, I know, I'm horrible, but maybe it was just the atmosphere. I'm going to see it again sometime soon, and maybe it'll be different the second time around. We'll see.
That brings us to the atmosphere in the theatre. It was awesome. I have never been to a movie where the audience is that silent. We all clapped when Molly killed Bellatrix, there were cheerings when Ron and Hermione finally kiss (my favorite part, just because I've been waiting for it since the last movie), and all whispered "yesssss" when it cut to the epilogue. Then again, I think with the audience and the atmosphere, I didn't get into it as much as I could. When I watched the Order of the Phoenix on Wednesday, I started crying when Sirius died just because I'd gotten so involved in watching it. I've never cried watching that movie before. Maybe it was my friends, because I've been known to sob during Titanic, and when I watch it with my friends I don't even really feel like crying. I know it's weird to not be able to cry in front of your friends. I felt like I was more involved in the atmosphere than in the movie (who's keeping track of how many times I've said 'atmosphere' and 'audience' in the last paragraph?). So I'll go again, maybe with only one friend, maybe like a loser by myself, maybe with my mom. I can't go with my Dad (sorry, Dad) because whenever I watch movies with him and it gets to awkward parts I'm always worried about what he thinks, so going with him would not help me to get into it more.
This all doesn't mean that I'm glad I went. Being a part of it was just as awesome as the movie was. Speaking of the movie, I've decided that the actor who is the best in all eight movies is Alan Rickman, who plays Snape. He's particularly fantastic in the last one, just because nobody ever sees the side of him that he has to portray. In the end epilogue scene, Albus Severus Potter is like the cutest eleven year old I've ever seen, except for maybe Rupert Grint when he was that age. Harry and Ginny's aging makeup stuff is actually pretty good, but Ron and Hermione's is kind of weird-ish. Like you can totally tell that it's make-up, kind of thing. Daniel Radcliffe literally looks like a middle-aged man. That scene was the only one where I was close to totally losing it. I like the way they did the Chamber of Secrets thing, just because they only talked about that in the book and never really showed it. I thought it was hilarious when Voldemort hugged Draco, just because it was so awkward. I was slightly disappointed in the ending battle scene between Harry and Voldemort, because it was really drawn out and when he finally defeated him nobody was around. It was kind of anticlimactic, or something.

So if you're still here, probably sick of my prattling, thank you. I only have one more thing, I promise. This has been built up as the end of something, but I don't see it that way. When I first started reading the last book this week, I cried a lot more in the beginning because I kept thinking about how it was going to be over in a few days. I know this is going to sound corny and sentimental, so brace yourselves. Harry Potter is not something that can end. It's meant so much to so many people, and we can still watch the movies and read the books over and over again. The best part of all this is that we've done it with people that love it as much as we do and can share our sadness and our happiness with those people. Something this big doesn't just end. To quote Albus Dumbledore, "It's not really goodbye, after all".

No comments:

Post a Comment