Saturday, April 9, 2011

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, FIFTEEN!

Guess how old I am now?

That's right folks, I'm halfway to thirty! I woke up at 8:15 yesterday morning, which is an unGodly hour for a teenager on spring break, to a stack of presents wrapped in monkey paper. Which is just wrapping paper with monkies on it, in case you thought it was something way more awesome. So, I opened up my presents from my (mom) parents.
1. A "Would you rather?" card game for my impending sleepover.
2. A betta fish tank!
3. A fish net that my mom explained was for "when you need to get dead Pedro out".
4. Roman columns for my fish tank.
5. A book detailing all the details of owning a betta
6. A book published by Us Weekly about Taylor Swift, in the middle of which were two tickets to see her in
   concert.
Yeah mom.

After the initial excitement had worn off, my mom and I set off to buy a surplus of cheesy, salty foods and sugary drinks for my party and a fish to go in my tank. I'd spent way too much of my morning reading up on betta care and was mostly paranoid that I'd kill my fish in several ways. We got to Petco and I spent about five seconds scanning the first shelf of bettas in cups that I saw and selected a dark blue fish with teal fins. His name is Pedro. After the Petco man reassured me of most of my fears and my mom made several jokes about getting a fish filet from McDonald's, Pedro survived the terrifyingly bumpy ride home and is now residing quite nicely in my kitchen, which is currently the warmest room in the house.
Leading up to 3:30 when my friends were due so we could catch a 5:00 movie that was about 45 minutes away, my vacuum kind of exploded and smoke started rolling out of it. It made my stairwell smell like burning rubber for about three hours. After that issue was dealt with, my friends started arriving. The first three were all there on the dot. We hung out for a while, growing steadily more concerned about my last two amigas. I'd planned on leaving for the movie by four at the latest, hopefully giving them plenty of time to be late. Unfortunately, these last two friends did not show up together, as I had presumed, with one showing up at about 4 and the last one showing up at 4:15. We decided to go to the movie at 6:15 instead, and sat around for a while.
What movie? Born to be Wild. With baby orangutans and elephants and Morgan Freeman. In Imax 3D. It was thoroughly awesome. When we got home from the movie, we ate a substantial amount of pizza and I opened my presents.
1. A tiny stuffed giraffe.
2. An awesome ring I had almost gotten for myself.
3. A small red carving of a heart.
4. A loverly bracelet from Australia.
5. A puppy-sized elephant.
6. Tuna salad with crackers and a fork.
7. Maxi pads.
8. A magnet that reads "Rock Star Mom"
9. A pin that reads "Mother hen"
10. A package of rainbow colored razors.
11. Tiny Forks.
12. An elephant charm.
13. Another puppy-sized elephant.
14. Happy Birthday sunglasses.
15. A Ducky magnet.
16. A pin that reads "Mama Bear"
17. A glowstick fairy wand.
18. An orange plastic martini glass.
19. Hand decorated shorts with "I <3 Bender" on the butt and every quote by John Bender from the Breakfast Club.
20. Mint colored OPI nail polish.
21. A bass-singing Sing-A-Ma-Jig.

If you are completely confused, it's all good. I'd be concerned if you weren't. We proceeded to eat cake, watch Tangled, play Blurt, Black Magic, Mafia, Signs, Pterydactyl, the hand tapping game, and a very brief spurt of the Statue Game. We talked, sang acapella renditions of Sadie Hawkins Dance and Pink Tux, bitched at each other a little, and finally dropped of to sleep, the last of us at 5 in the morning. I was out at 4:30 or so, just barely able to tune out the last giggles of the two remaining friends that were awake.

This morning, we woke up around ten, dined on chocolate chip pancakes and bacon, and said our goodbyes. It kind of sucks that the next time I will see these people will be at school on Monday. Poo.

So here I sit, fifteen at last, with a "choppy" new haircut, dreading the nest of gifts and sleeping bags and clothes I still have to pick up. Technically, it's only my stuff, but I still don't want to pick it up.

Yep. Happy Birthday to me. I realize how lengthy this post is, but I've been kind of lax with blogging for a while now. And it's BEDA, which somehow makes it worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment