Monday, April 11, 2011

Bender Shorts

I was up until three in the morning because The Big Man* decided it needed to be 83 degrees in the midwest yesterday. So there I was, spending a perfectly excellent day concluding my spring break, when my brain refused to shut off. I'd even done chemistry** before bed, which is a surefire way to get me to sleep. I'd read more than enough of my book report book for English, listened to a section of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on CD (for the eleventh time), and was imagining a lovely night's rest to prepare me for the 6:30 a.m. kick-off to my Monday. But. I. Couldn't. SLEEP. Why? WHYYYY???!?!? I really don't know. Let's just say that this was around 10:30/11ish, and you read in the first line that I was up til 3. For at least four and a half hours, I tried everything to get myself to fall asleep. I ate some pomegranate Greek yogurt. I read a significant amount of my book. I surfed the internet. Then, it hit me. Of course I couldn't fall asleep; my house is ancient and my bedroom is on the second floor where we have no air conditioning. The weather had been straight 50's and low 60's for the past couple of weeks, so it wasn't even close to fan season. And there I was, sweltering away in the unseasonal heat. I bared down to my Bender Shorts*** and a t-shirt, pulled my hair back from my neck, climbed into bed with my book, and eventually fell asleep. The sound of "Hey Alli" by Runner Runner woke me up three hours later, and it seemed awfully surreal to me at first. It was like my brain was sitting up in my head, squinting and straining and going all like "What is this music? What the heck is  going on right now? Is that...supposed to be like...waking me up, or something?"

There ya have it, folks. I almost seriously believed for a while that I was going to end up pulling an all nighter. I don't even remember what it was that finally knocked me out.

I took a page outta HayleyG's book and decided to try out some asterisks. I've got some splainin' to do:
*--God. Or the big weather machine in the sky. Whichever you prefer to believe in. Maybe Global Warming.
**--Ironically enough, I'm avoiding that now.
***--See previous post for explanation on Bender Shorts. But seriously, they're about the tiniest shorts ever, and made of this thin cotton stuff, and they werejust barely cool enough.

Tah tah for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment