Tuesday, August 2, 2011

SPARE THE HALFLINGS!!!!

I watched The Fellowship of the Ring today. That is one pretty fantastic movie.

I also noticed some similarities between Harry Potter and LOTR, which I will point out to you in this very convenient list. (Shut up, Dad, I know you hate my lists.)

1. Horcruxes are a lot like The Ring, in that Sauron basically lives within The Ring. At least, I think that's how it works. For those of you who don't know Horcruxes, they're the objects Voldemort hides pieces of his soul so he'll never die.

2. Gandalf and Dumbledore are basically the same person. They're both really old with really epic beards, and they're also the wisdom figures who guide everybody. Also, it really sucks when they die.

3. Frodo is kind of like Harry. Neither of them are the kind of people you expect to be leading battles and stuff, but they are both in some way "the chosen one".

4. Ring Wraiths. Dementors. Think about it.

So, JK Rowling clearly got a few ideas from JRR Tolkien, possibly even the presentation of her name. Don't get me wrong, I'm still Die-Hard-Potter, but the fact that I've been exposed to both recently has sort of opened my mind a little.
I have to go read a mega stupid book about a 14 year old who corresponds with a philosopher about philosophy. Kill me. It's required for my AP Euro class, and I really can't stand it. I guess it's getting a little more tolerable now that I'm more into it, but it's just not as enjoyable to have to read something.
Well, I've procrastinated enough. See ya'll tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. You're actually getting into the book??! I just read it and tried not to die. I only found it bearable once it got trippy, but whatever blows your hair back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooorta. It's so boring right now, though. I'm going to be glad when the plot actually goes somewhere.

    ReplyDelete