Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Uncomfortable and Loving It

So, I was thinking a little bit today about what I was going to blog about, and I thought about discomfort. I had just talked on the phone with a friend, which I swear I never do because I hate talking on the phone, and I thought that sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone a little to open yourself up to new things. Then I logged on to Youtube, was relieved to find a new Vlogbrothers video after a four day dead period, and discovered it was Esther Day. Now, this just so happens to go along pretty well with my topic for today. For those of you who didn't feel like watching the video, it's about an awesome person named Esther who wanted people to talk about love and family on her birthday. She had cancer and died sometime last year. So today is her birthday, so I am going to talk about family and love and discomfort.

It can be so hard to tell a person you love her or him, but it has to be done. I'll throw up a common example. I have a seventeen year old brother who I don't have the most fantabulous relationship with, but that doesn't mean I don't love him. Even though I do love him, I never say it to his face because that's just not what you do when you're a little sister with a big brother. It's not something you do when you're a big brother with a little sister. There is no combination that makes it something you do.
So here it is, even though I doubt he'll ever read this:
I love you Nathan.
Whew. That wasn't so hard. But see, I wrote it on a blog that I'm not a hundred percent sure he'll even read, which makes it easier. Saying it to his face would be so much harder, especially in the context of, "Hey Nathan, this girl I've never met ever before died of cancer last year and wanted me to tell you I love you today, cuz it's her birthday. Sooo...yeah."
There are other people I love who I love in that way that they're amazing friends and I enjoy every second I'm with them, but it would just be weird to say I love you. Yes, I'm talking about my guy friends. Girls tell each other "I love you" an uncanny amount. But girls rarely ever tell their guy friends that they're loved. This brings me back to my "Girls Have it Easy" post (at least, I think that's what it was called...), in that guys never seem to be reassured that they're loved enough. So to all my guy friends out there, who I would name by name except I fear leaving one of you out, I love you.
And now comes the family part. I love everyone in my family so much. They are amazing people, and I'm proud to share a bloodline with them. (That sounds weird-ish). Anyways, it's easy to tell them I love them. So to Mom, Dad, Aunts and Uncles, Cousins, Baylee (because I'm not sure how we're related), Grandparents, and the like, I love you.
All my ladies, you know how it is. I love you so much.
That last sentence sounded kinda funny. Oh well. On to the discomfort!
Love is not something that should be uncomfortable to share. It shouldn't be as hard as it is to tell my brother or my guy friends that I love them. There's just a fear of being rejected or the whole "Wooooow that's really weird that you said that..." thing.
And because it's uncomfortable not only for me to share this love but also to let people read what I write, I'm posting this on Facebook. (I know right, big woop. Leave me alone, I'm a cyber child).

I LOVE YOU. THAT IS ALL.

3 comments:

  1. "All my ladies, you know how it is." Yeah, odd line. I thought Katie was the pimp... I love you Erin. And Dangit, (like the imaginary name) you made my realize how my brother-sister relationship with Chris is odd. Thanks. But that is why I love you. Which I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Dangit! And you and Chris are hilarious. It makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the Taylor Swift concert: SPEAK NOW!

    ReplyDelete